1. Carole Pope
    August 31, 2016 @ 6:15 am

Hi Suzy.
    I have advanced from our instagram connection to finally getting your blog on my work email to give me a little boost at this time of year as I send my youngest son back to University for his second year. After graduating this summer my daughter starts her first job on Monday!
    I am proud of myself as I have just booked myself into a retreat with a group of ladies all facing changes in their lives. No husbands, just ‘me’ time while we discuss our hopes and anxieties about our next ‘season’. Thanks for your encouragement!

August 31, 2016 @ 7:10 am

Wow, Carol! I am so proud of you and super impressed. I think this retreat is a great idea and sounds like fun! Support (and lots of girlfriends!) are really important when you are going through big changes like this. Good for you. Have so much fun and let me know how it goes, okay? And thanks so much for coming over to the blog. You made my day! xoxo

2. Nylse
    August 31, 2016 @ 7:50 am

I’m glad I found you. I was anticipating the empty nest 13 years ago but then I had my late in life child. I have 3 who have graduated from college and a 13 year old. It’s true – transitions are not effortless.

Since we had to start over again we’ve learned a lot and are probably better prepared for the empty nest when it arrives.

August 31, 2016 @ 10:50 am

Nylse, wow! You have quite a story. I admire you and bet your 13-year-old is just thriving under the love and attention from her parents AND her older siblings. I am so glad you found me and emptynestblessed.com! Hugs to you and thanks so much for sharing! Xoxo

3. Kim Pincombe Cole
    August 31, 2016 @ 9:03 am

This is just what I needed today. I just moved my youngest child into college this past weekend and I have been lost all week. I had planned on the sadness, but not the head fog I have been feeling. Such an unexpected, strange & exasperating feeling…

August 31, 2016 @ 11:03 am

Oh, sweet Kim, my heart just goes out to you. It is not easy. Give it the time it deserves and be kind to yourself. Thank you for sharing. You’ll be in my thoughts and prayers. Xoxox

4. Victoria McGrath
    August 31, 2016 @ 10:53 am

Hi Suzy! So great to meet you last week at the Dallas Theta Alumnae Event! I am enjoying your blog as I am into week 2 of being an empty nester! Here is a lovely poem a friend sent to me I wanted to share…enjoy.

Your children are not your children.
    They are the sons and daughters of Life’s longing for itself.
    They come through you but not from you,
    And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.

You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
    For they have their own thoughts.
    You may house their bodies but not their souls,
    For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
    which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.
    You may strive to be like them,
    but seek not to make them like you.
    For life goes not backward nor tarries with yesterday.

You are the bows from which your children
    as living arrows are sent forth.
    The archer sees the mark upon the path of the infinite,
    and He bends you with His might
    that His arrows may go swift and far.
    Let your bending in the archer’s hand be for gladness;
    For even as He loves the arrow that flies,
    so He loves also the bow that is stable.
    – Kahlil Gibran

August 31, 2016 @ 2:02 pm

Victoria, oh my word, that brought tears to my eyes. Thank you so much for sharing. What a precious poem. Hang in there! It does get easier and you are more able to see the blessings of this new season. The cherry on top of the sundae is when you see your children growing and maturing! They are His, and we are just to be stewards for a season. Thinking of you as you adjust! Excited to be new friends!!! xoxo

5. Maury Cunningham
    August 31, 2016 @ 11:45 am

Love today’s post, Suzy! And thank you, Victoria, for the poem by Kahlil Gibran. It is a lovely reminder that is very helpful during what I have found to be a significant transition period.

August 31, 2016 @ 2:03 pm

Maury, thank you for the encouragement and wise words. You are an example and a blessing!!! TLAM xoxo

6. Carolyn
    August 3, 2019 @ 8:38 am

Suzie, I am just discovering your blog. You have shed such great light on what I am experiencing in life right now. I became an empty nester last year when our last of three went off to college. I feel so stuck some times trying to decide what I want to do now, yet at the same time all that you describe is so true of me. I am having to get to know myself. There is so much about me and for me that I neglected all these years, 26 to be exact. To add on, since we married and had children later in life (early 30’s) it all has all hit as I am turning 60 this month. I am an active 60 so the age is more a number but a true reality that time is moving ahead. I am in a love hate relationship with where I am right now. Anyway, I wont continue on, but thank you for validating where I am right now. I did not know that this is a stag to my grief and discovery and that truly I will get pass this and the best is yet to come.
    Blessing,
    Carolyn

August 3, 2019 @ 8:58 am

Carolyn,
      I was so happy to hear from you and I’m so sorry you are struggling. You sound like you are processing and making progress in your journey, and I’m so proud of you.???? I’m so happy you found Empty Nest Blessed! Please stay in touch.