1. Lauren
    February 4, 2019 @ 8:55 am

Hi Suzy,

This is so good, and I think you’re spot on with each of these tips! My husband and I will be celebrating our 30th anniversary this year, and I have to agree with you that the empty nest years are a special time in a marriage, richer and deeper for sure. We both have a lot more perspective than we did in our younger years, plus decades of shared history, and now we have more time to just enjoy being together.

Blessings,
    Lauren

February 4, 2019 @ 10:26 am

Lauren,
      The perspective that comes from years together is so rich, isn’t it? I agree with you! Thanks for your comment! xoox Suzy

2. Kay
    February 4, 2019 @ 10:39 am

These are all such great tips, Suzy! I’m going to work on saying, “Thank you” more often. I was tempted to run to my hubby and tell him about that one, but I’ve decided to just try it out from my end instead and see what happens. Congratulations on 31 years! That’s exactly how long we’ve been married, too. Well, 31 years and one month!
    Blessings!
    Kay

February 4, 2019 @ 12:52 pm

Kay,
      Thank you for your sweet comment. I can’t wait to hear what happens when you start saying it more! Please let me know, okay? It’s amazing what those two little words can do! (Is it any wonder that God tells us to give thanks in all circumstances?!) Congratulations to you two on 31 years also! xoxo Suzy

3. nylse
    February 4, 2019 @ 11:45 am

Love this. We’ll be 30 in March. I told my husband I’m fascinated by long marriages – we’re in it! At this point because you know each other so well you could push each other’s buttons or love the person they are. I like to say longevity is love!

February 4, 2019 @ 12:53 pm

Nylse,
      What a beautiful saying! Longevity IS love! Congratulations on 30 years. You are so right – every day is a choice – do we push the buttons, or love them just the way they are! I choose love!
      Thanks so much for your comment! xoxo Suzy

4. Lisa Heape
    February 4, 2019 @ 11:47 am

Great tips! I would like to add a couple we try to abide by. We have been married 24 years this month.Never go to bed angry with each other. Never talk bad about your husband to your girlfriends. Always lift each other up! Love your column and your outfits!

February 4, 2019 @ 12:56 pm

Lisa,
      Such great ideas, thank you! It’s so important to build each other up to others. We try not to go to bed angry, but there have been times when we’ve realized our fatigue was part of the issue, and we’ve decided to just deal with it in the morning. Hahahaha!
      Thank you so much for your kind words!
      xoxo

5. Betsie Z
    February 5, 2019 @ 6:42 am

Hi Suzy!
    Great post! (Love the purple sweater!) Appreciating each other verbally is so important. Speaking words of love, encouragement, and appreciation help strengthen our relationships with those we love…especially our in-it-for-the-long-haul spouses! My hubby and I will be 33 years married in May. Student years, 3 states, 4 children and the ups and downs of life have forged a bond that no man can put asunder!
    Hope it’s a great week!

February 5, 2019 @ 9:40 am

Betsie,
      Thank you so much for your sweet comment! As a person whose primary love language is words of encouragement, those affirming words are even more important to me! Congratulations for 33 years and a marriage well-lived and loved. What an incredible bond! Thank you for sharing, Betsie! xoxo Suzy